BLADEX SDM™ HUB TECHNOLOGY
A Zero-failure Hub
BladeX has selected the premium BITEX RAR 9 and 10 hubs as its partner of choice for the SDM wheelset – these come fitted with top quality sealed Taiwanese ceramic bearings as standard. The hub choice enables the SDM wheel to be stiff, strong, light and offer very low rolling resistance. In addition, the freehub mechanism has 48 points of engagement that ensures quick transfer of your pedalling effort into speed.
In summary, BladeX has carefully evaluated and chosen hubs that combine optimum performance and customer value. The hubs are included within our 2-year warranty.
Customers can also choose to customise their hub selection when ordering an SDM wheelset:
Upgrading: to a specific hub choice (e.g. Chris King, DT Swiss 240, or DT Swiss 180’s);
Downgrading: from Taiwanese TPI ceramic bearings (included as standard) to steel bearings – and save $60 from the final purchase price.
Who Are BiteX?
BiteX is a superlative Taiwanese bicycle hub manufacturer, established in 1923 and formerly known as Valisum. BiteX has earned a global reputation within the wheel building industry for combining high quality materials and innovative and patented designs to create some of the best performing, most durable and reliable hubs on the market. They are widely used and consistently review well across the global wheel industry.
BiteX use their own patented 6 pawl freehub design that is fast to engage, with 48 points of engagement, as well as being quiet and very durable and providing excellent free-wheel credentials. Each pawl held in place by a spring/clip and is also given an additional coil spring. The hubs are easy to take apart with basic tools for servicing.
The ceramic balls rotate in a single cartridge unit that can be easily removed for servicing, or replaced once worn out, creating convenience.
The steel bearings option uses ABEC5 TPI bearings, that are among the best quality steel bearings available.
Weight: Front: 70g, Rear: 191g
Rolling System: Sealed Ceramic Bearings / 4
Spoke Holes: 20/24H or 18/ 21
Axle: Ø10 – A7075
P.C.D: Ø38.5 / 50.6
Casstte: Aluminum A7075
48 points of engagement
In the past 8 years, we have used this hubset as standard configuration to build BladeX road lines, and we received zero complain in the past 8 years.
Thanks to it’s simple structure, these hubs are physically reliable and impossible to break.
How fast of a bicycle is most determined by the performance of its revolving components, wheels are the main revolving components of a bicycle. This makes it reasonable to upgrade the wheels with Ceramic bearings. There are 2 main advantages of using Ceramic Bearings:
- Ceramic Ball is closer to perfect round: A steel ball in Grade G25 is meant to be a high quality ball in this material, if measured by size, it’s precision is 25/1,000,000 inch. Nevertheless, a ceramic ball can be made to Grade G5, it’s precision is much higher than the best steel ball. That’s why we say Ceramic Ball is closer to perfect round.
- Ceramic Ball is stiffer: Stiffness is very important to a ball used in a bike, it’s also called “Modulus of Elasticity”. A steel ball’s Modulus of Elasticity is around 30,000,000Pounds/Inch, while a ceramic ball’s is 47,000,000Pounds/Inch. Both of the main features make the bearing with ceramic balls smooth, easy to maintain and fit for all conditions. Also upgrading to ceramic bearing brings a lot of benefits over the steel counterparts:
|Higher hardness of rolling element||
– Better wearability
– Greater durability
– Longer service life
– Lightweighting the system
– Lower centrifugal force during rotation, consequently less bearing wear and heat generation and bearings can run at higher speed
– Increase the rigidity of system
– Less sphere deformation under load and this will transfer energy better
|Higher precision and better surface finish of ceramic balls||
– Less friction between ceramic balls and races
– Less wear
– Less maintenance or maintenance free
– Races will not block due to rusty
– Less magnetic contaminations to be magnetized into the raceway that can affect smooth rotation and destroy the raceway
– No galvanically stimulated corrosion
– Can be used in application that requires electrical isolation
This rear hub has the maximized center to right distance 16.2mm, same as DT Swiss 240. The maximized center to right distance allow us to build BladeX rear wheel as laterally stiff as possible.
|DT Swiss 240 J Bend||105||209||314|
Thanks to the simply structure, The BiteX RAF9/RAR10 is easy to service, use only two hex wrenches to open the hub body, then you can grease without any difficulty.